Sunday, December 10, 2006

Losing a pet........


A short memorial for our kitty cat Shardae...............We had Shardae put to sleep on December 5th - she had bone cancer.

Way back (13 or 14 years ago.......) I was smoking (yes, smoking) outside the parking garage and chatting with other bank employees about cats. One lady said "hey, we just had kittens, do you want one?" and I said I'd think about it. Well, Bethie and I went to her house and picked out the runt of the litter. I named her for my favorite singer Sade....and since no one can say her name right, I used the phonetic version. Shardae was supposed to keep the other cat, Silky company - which....never quite worked out the way we thought it was going to! Ha. But they managed to "agree to disagree".

Shardae was the strangest, dumbest cat I've ever known. So strange. She thought she saw bugs on the wallpaper and (back when she had front claws).....she would pick at the wallpaper, tearing little strips off of the wall.......oh my........ And.....she would literally bark at moths and flies, bark, not meow........and she never really wanted you to pet her with your hands, but she would let you rub her with your feet (socks or no socks).....all day long........

After Silky, Shardae seemed okay living by herself. She even acted a little nicer to us both. Then we adopted Frosty from my mom and Chuck. Frosty was determined to make friends.....she flat wore Shardae out. You could almost see Shardae resign herself to putting up with the sweet, harmless, lovable little white cat and yes....eventually they even napped next to one another on the waterbed - not actually TOUCHING, mind you....but close enough just the same.

goodbye Shardae, 'twas interesting to know ya'..........

No comments: