Saturday, December 30, 2006

2006 Retrospective - It's all about yoga....

January: I teach my first ever yoga class. There are 23 students (and my teacher) present for the hour long class! Though I needed to speak up louder, it went well. I was so wound up that I had trouble sleeping that night - it was all I had hoped for and dreamed about.

February: My first paycheck from teaching yoga - February 4, 2006 (I give it away to the person who made it possible). One yoga teacher and good friend celebrates her 30th birthday, and another moves away -leaving for Texas at the end of the month. I have to accept that teachers do sometimes leave, it's up to me to continue my practice without them.

March: So that we can share images as well as text in our e-mail, we purchase a digital camera. Many long hours of research went into the decision and once it arrives, many more hours are spent practicing and learning the features and capabilities of the Canon.

April: Purple Pansies!

May: My former teacher (and now close personal friend) visits from Texas and we attend two different classes together. This is the apex of my now 3-year old practice. I am strong and flexible. My endurance is better than ever, and I feel wonderful. The world of yoga is at my fingertips.

June, July, August: I injure my lumbar spine on the first camping trip of the year. How? Don't really know. Did it just happen on the camping trip or was it cumulative? Don't really know. What will my yoga practice be like from now on? Don't really know. A spinal surgeon recommends surgery -and I agree to it. My first ever surgical procedure takes place on July 21st. The results from the microdiskectomy are positive, my nerve damage begins to heal slowly.

September: We are able to vacation in Arkansas. I hike and swim and begin each day with a short outdoor yoga practice. Slowly and with great mindfulness of my limitations in forward bends and spinal twists, I approach my practice. By the middle of September I return to the recreation center, teaching one night per week. We attend the Yoga Journal Colorado Conference in Estes Park. I attend classes from some of the best teachers in the world.

October: I attend teacher training in Oklahoma, YogaFit Level 2 - good thing I had been practicing headstand as that proved to be the focus of the second master class on Sunday.

November and December are spent on the interior of the house - we basically had to move out. New carpeting was laid throughout the living areas and bedrooms over a span of two weeks.

Christmas: with my family and my friends - and yoga as my refuge from a chaotic world.

No comments: