Monday, October 13, 2008

Kirtan

I always meant to join a kirtan (chanting), just for the experience -I've been on an e-mail list for quite some time, but for some reason it never happened......until Friday, October 10th. I made plans to go to Riverview Retreat and participate in the kirtan at 7:30. In 47 years of living in Wichita, I had never been to this neighborhood, near 53rd Street North and Arkansas, where the houses are backed right up to the river.

Things hit a snag at work and I ended up staying at the office until 7:05. Beth came to get me. Now since the office is at 21st and Woodlawn, I took a deep breath and told her that we needed to be there on time. If we had trouble finding the place after dark or we arrived very late, it would be a sign that tonight was not the night for this new experience.....

We found the house with four minutes to spare and I went up to the door to make sure we were in the right spot (there are private residences in the area, as a matter-of-fact, the entrance says "private drive" -so it's not well marked). A woman wearing all black with a nose piercing answered the door, introduced herself and made us aware of the cushions and chairs available for our use. We settled in, taking note of our surroundings, a once fine and grand main house now used for various activities other than kirtan, like massage, silent retreats, potlucks and drumming (the drum in the living room is as big as my dining room table, and the fireplace, as big as my living room). http://riverviewretreat.com/images/DSC03140-web.jpg
The carpet was a 70's shade of chocolate brown, the decor somewhat Native American (besides the drum) and near the chairs there was a big stack of white pillows to use for sitting.

The facilitator was in front of the fireplace, surrounded by his instruments, amplifier and mike and laptop. He intended to display the PowerPoint of the chants on the TV screen but the connections were not working. So we used the old-fashioned way, everyone was handed a sheet of paper with the words to the chants. We started with OM, it always tickles when multiple people join together in voicing the vibration of this word. Or tingles. I was pleased to see that I knew several chants (from CD's that I use for yoga, or workshops that I've been to) and the 2 hours (!) flew by like 15 minutes. Chanting is a vocal meditation.....you simply cannot worry about bills, or spreadsheets, or yardwork, or retirement when you are singing in a group - no matter what the song is.....you just "sing what you feel, and feel what you sing". Other than the sweet-ish smell of pot wafting in the partially open windows about 20 minutes in (I guess massage comes with extras at Riverview, grin) all was well for the duration. I did get a scratchy throat toward the end- not used to using it for that long I suppose, and there is a lingering hint of cigarette smoke in the building. I realize how chanting or singing can increase one's breath capacity and control. My singing career ended in oh, about the 6th grade - with "Do you love me Schroeder" from a stage production of Lucy and Charlie Brown.

All in all an interesting, not too "woo-woo" and very gentle experience.

1 comment:

Sarah Y said...

I've wanted to check out the riverview retreat. sounds nice.